This is a traditional Isan [North East Thailand] dip for barbequed meals, steamed fish and vegetable dishes. The traditional method of cooking the anchovies is as shown below: if you prefer you can wrap them in aluminum foil and roast them in a medium oven for 15 minutes. You can also remove the heads and backbones first. You can also use tinned anchovies (drain and use - they are already cooked).
- 1 pound of anchovies
- ½ cup lemon grass
- ½ cup shallots, chopped
- ½ cup galangal chopped
- 3 tbsp chilis sliced
- ½ cup of tamarind juice (or rice vinegar)
- 5 kaffir lime leaves, shredded
- 3 tbsp of garlic, sliced
- Wrap the anchovies in banana leaves, and place on the embers of a charcoal brazier until the leaf blackens.
- Remove from the fire and unwrap.
- Discard the heads and backbones of the fish.
- Combine all the ingredients in a mortar and pestle or food processor.
- Serve with fresh vegetables.
- Can keep for about 3 weeks in refrigerated.