Panang curry paste is one of the many pastes based on red curry, but the recipe includes more dry spices. Panang curry is cooked with meat and no vegetables and with just enough coconut milk to cover, resulting in a dry curry dish, unlike red or green curry, which is more soup-like. The result is a curry dish full of flavor. Peanuts are also sometimes added to this dish, making it popular with foreigners.
- 5 large dried red spur chilies, seeded and soaked
- 5 shallots, sliced
- 2 bulbs roasted garlic
- 10 cloves sliced garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely sliced galangal
- 1 teaspoon lemon grass, sliced
- ½ teaspoon finely sliced kaffir lime rind
- 1 teaspoon finely sliced coriander root
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste
- Pound dried chilies and salt together well.
- Add galangal, lemon grass, kaffir lime rind, and coriander root, pound until mixed well.
- Add shallots and garlic, follow with pepper and shrimp paste, and continue pounding until smooth and fine.
Search for Panang Curry Paste