Crying Tiger is a Thai dish otherwise known as Seua Rong Hai is sliced BBQ beef accompanied by a Nam Jim dipping sauce of which there are several different variations. The name 'Crying Tiger' is because of small extremely potent red bird chilis in the sauce that are hot enough to bring tears to a tiger's eyes. The particular Nam Jim I prepared consisted of toasted rice powder which gives the sauce a nutty taste.
- 400 grams top round steak
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp fish sauce for marinating
- 1/3 cup fish sauce for making dipping sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp roasted sticky rice powder
- 2 tsp ground chiles
- In a medium size bowl, add together the white pepper, soy sauce, fish sauce (1 teaspoon) and the beef.
- Then marinade for at least 45 minutes.
- Grill the beef over high heat until cooked thorough.
- Then slice the meat thinly and arrange the slices on a serving platter and serve immediately with dipping sauce.
- To make the dipping sauce, combine the fish sauce (1/3 cup), the water, lime juice, shallot, sticky rice powder, coriander leaves and ground chiles and set aside in a serving bowl.