Spicy Squid Salad or Larb Pla Meuk is a Thai style salad. I adapt from larb mou. This is a dish of spicy squid is served as a snack at parties or at home with beer or whisky. You might have a beer and pizza, but Thai people have a beer and spicy pork. The chilli content in the dish 'cuts' through the beer. Medium hot.
- 500 g cleaned squid, cut into well pieces
- 2 tbsp fresh mint leaves
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp roasted sticky rice powder
- 3 tbsp finely chopped spring onion
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tbsp coarsely ground dried red chilli
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ cup coarsely chopped shallot
- 1 cup water (or chicken stock)
- 2 wedges green cabbage
- 5 green beans, trimmed and halved crosswise
How to Cook:
- Heat water in a pot until boiling.
- Then scald the squid in boiled water for just a short time. Remove and drain.
- Transfer the cooked squid to a medium bowl.
- Add the shallot, spring onion, coriander, and most of the mint, reserving a few leaves for a garnish.
- Add the lime juice, fish sauce, rice powder, chilli, and sugar.
- Then stir to combine everything well.
- Before serving, garnish the serving dish with the cabbage, green bean, and mint.
- Thai people love to eat this dish with fresh vegetables.