This refreshing salad combines three nutrient-rich ingredients: sweet pomelos (for potassium and vitamin C), and chiles (full of beta-carotene). And in Thai called “Yam Som-O”
- 2 cups pomelo fresh peeled
- ½ cup thin slices of shelled steamed prawn
- ¼ cup pan-roasted shredded coconut meat
- ¼ cup coarsely ground pan-roasted peanut
- 1 tbsp. sauted shallot slices
- 1 thinly sliced red spur chilli
- 1 tsp. thinly sliced kaffir lime leaves
- 1 tbsp. coriander leaves
- 1 dried large chilli, roasted until fragrant
- 1 tbsp. well-pounded dried knife fish
- 2 roasted shallots, 1 roasted garlic bulb
- 3 tbsp. palm sugar, 3 tbsp. fish sauce
- 3 tbsp. tamarind juice
Pound the chilli, fish, shallots and garlic until well ground. Transfer to a pot, add the fish sauce, sugar and tamarind juice and simmer until thickened.
- Place the pomelo in a bowl, add the prawn and then pour on the dressing. Add the coconut, the peanuts, and half a tablespoonful of the sauted shallot and toss gently until thoroughly mixed.
- Transfer the salad onto a plate, sprinkle with the remaining sauted shallot, spur chilli, kaffir lime leaves and the coriander leaves and then Serve.