Cockles, Mussels and Clams in Spicy Salad Thai called “Yam Sam Sao” all are shellfish and famous in Thailand. We cook them not only salad sometime stir fry with red paste or some curry such as a "Mussels curry with pineapple", Fry Mussels with bean sprouts, Stir fry Clams with Roasted Chili Paste etc.
- 10 cockles, 15 mussels, 20 clams.
- 2 tbsp. thinly sliced shallot
- 2 tbsp. thinly sliced lemon grass
- 1 tbsp. crushed hot chilli
- 1 tbsp. roasted chilli paste
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- 1 ½ tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 tbsp. lime juice, ½ tsp. sugar
- 3 lettuce leaves.
- Place the cookles, mussels and clams in fresh water and let them be for a long enough time that they open their shells and expel any sand or mud inside them.
- Then was well in plenty of water several times until really clean and then put in a colander to drain.
- Lower the colander into a pot and pour in enough boiling water to cover the shells.
- After a few minutes, remove from the water, allow to cool, open, reserve the insides, and discard the shells.
- Mix the fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, chilli and paste together well, taste to see if the balance of the hot, sour, salty tastes is right.
- If not, season accordingly. Then pour in the cookles, mussels, and clams, stir quickly to mix and add the shallot and lemon grass.
- Spoon onto a bed of lettuce leaves on a serving plate, sprinkle with the mint and serve immediately.