This recipe is Thailand’s famous yam naue or spicy beef salad. This is a better starter or light main course. The combination of flavors-fiery chiles, fragrant mint, shallots and garlic-is explosive . . . and addictive. As in other recipes, I offer a range of chilies..
- 1 cup beef fillet
- 1/3 cup sliced Onion
- 1 small shallot sliced
- 1/4 cup spring onion
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leave
- 1 tbsp fresh mint leave
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp sliced Thai red chilies
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges
- A pin of black pepper
- A pin of salt
- Cook the beef in a lightly oiled pan over a high heat. Sprinkle with a pin of black pepper and salt. The cooking time depends on how well done you like your beef. Put the beef in a warm place to rest for 10 minutes.
- thinly slice the beef and add it to the salad bowl.
- To make dressing, peel the garlic. Mince (grind) together the garlic and chilli peppers.
- Place in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Mix together. Seasoning to taste.
- Portion onto the plate, sprinkle with spring onion and coriander leave.
- Serve Immediately.