Saying this chicken is boiled is not the full story, it is first pan fried to get some flavour from the browning, then simmered slowly in a stock, and finally served up with a delicions spicy dark sauce. It’s healthy chicken but with an unhealthy taste!
- 500 gms Chicken Breast with Skin
- 1-2 Coriander Root
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 Teaspoon Peppercorns
- 3 Tablespoons Light Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 500 ml Water
- 1 Chicken Stock Cube
- Clean the chicken breast and add the light soy sauce.
- Into a mortar, mix the garlic, coriander root, peppercorns and pound until ground up.
- Add this to the chicken, mix it well together so that the chicken is covered and leave to marinade for 30 minutes.
- Put the butter into a pan, fry the chicken in this starting skin side down until the skin is browned, then turn it over and brown the other side.
- The aim is to just add some flavour, not to cook the chicken.
- Place the chicken, water and stock cube in a saucepan, bring to the boil, then turn the heat down to simmer.
- Simmer until the water has reduced by half.
- During the last 10 minutes of cooking you can use this stock to cook side vegetables like baby corn, carrots or mushrooms if you are serving these too.
- Remove the chicken, slice, place in a serving bowl with some of the stock and the following sauce.
- 5 Chillies
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Dark Soy Sauce
- Mix chillies, garlic, sugar and salt in a mortar and pound it until the mixture is ground up, then add the dark soy sauce.
- You can spoon this sauce over the chicken, as I’ve done for the photograph, or if some of your guests don’t like spicy chilli, you can serve it as a side sauce.
Search for Chicken Stock Cube